No, really - what is your EMERGENCY?

This used to be the journal of a nursing student at a prestigious 4 year university that will still remain unnamed. This is now the journal of a Registered Nurse working in an Emergency Department in a major US city. All names have been changed to protect the stupid and the mean. There is no educational value in this journal, sometimes it will be downright mean and catty - this is where I come to vent!

Saturday, September 29, 2007

More classes = More complaining

So, we have had 3 of the 13 ICU classes I am being forced to take as part of my orientation. Yes, I said ICU and yes I am working in the ED. The classes are definitely geared toward the ICU and not the ED. Here is the deal - most of the time, by the time a patient makes it to the ICU there is at least an inkling of what is wrong with the patient. This is not so in the ED. The patients come in and unless they have a previous history of their problem or they are bleeding profusely - it is kind of like a game of Clue to figure out the problem. Therefore, our approaches to our patients are different. I am not complaining about taking the course. It is a great review and I needed a review since I had almost 4 months off between finishing school and starting my job. Besides, they pay me the same. But is it too much to ask for them to throw in one slide that says, "oh yeah - this is probably what you might see in the ED patient..."? I don't think so.

While we are on the topic of classes, let me rant about the lack of teaching experience. If you are going to call yourself a nursing educator then take a class or two on how to educate. Reading powerpoint slides is not education - that is patronizing. I can read the slides myself. You are wasting my time and your time if you stand in front of me and provide me with no other information than what is on the slide. You are being paid for your technical expertise and your self proclaimed vast amounts of experience. Share that with me.

I shared all of this with our new Nursing Educator in the ED. It was her first day. She LOVES me already.......

1 Comments:

  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger caffeine and xanax said…

    I have spouted off so many times about instructors who read off the powerpoint slides. I can freakin' read, the last thing I want is to be read to and it's an immediately cue to my mind to go elsewhere.

    I will be a new grad in 6 months' time and I hope I find a hands on orientation like yours in the ED, rather than suffering through another course that makes me observe and do nothing else.

    Please keep updating!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home