No, really - what is your EMERGENCY?

This used to be the journal of a nursing student at a prestigious 4 year university that will still remain unnamed. This is now the journal of a Registered Nurse working in an Emergency Department in a major US city. All names have been changed to protect the stupid and the mean. There is no educational value in this journal, sometimes it will be downright mean and catty - this is where I come to vent!

Monday, November 29, 2004

Thanksgiving, end of semester, and other stuff

So, we just returned from a nice long break for Thanksgiving. Some of us were lucky and got the whole week off to spend with our families. Others weren't as lucky, oh well, it all comes around eventually.
This week we have our "End of Clinicals Evaluations". This is an opportunity for your clinical instructor to tell you what you did right and wrong over the semester. If the mid-term clinical evals are any indicator, I will hear such excellent comments as, "You are trying to learn this info too fast, you need to slow down and enjoy it." Yes, that was very helpful. Listen, this is my second degree and my second career. My first career sometimes moved at the speed of light, it was either learn it and move on or get run over. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with making sure you have a good handle on things like giving shots and starting IV's, but I don't see why I need to "slow down and enjoy" changing bed linens, wiping people's butts, changing adult diapers, or giving someone a bath. I am fascinated to see what pearl of wisdom my clinical instructor comes up with next! I also got marked as the best mark on almost all categories. The reason I was given for why I didn't get the best mark on everything was that if I had, I would be able to do my clinical instructor's job. Well, not really. I may do an above average job of being a nursing student, but that doesn't mean that I would do an above average job of being a nurse. It is all relative......more to follow on the end of clinical eval......
And finally, it is time for final exams. I'm sure this will generate much hate and discontent.....stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home