No, really - what is your EMERGENCY?

This used to be the journal of a nursing student at a prestigious 4 year university that will still remain unnamed. This is now the journal of a Registered Nurse working in an Emergency Department in a major US city. All names have been changed to protect the stupid and the mean. There is no educational value in this journal, sometimes it will be downright mean and catty - this is where I come to vent!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Should be studying.......

So, I should be studying for my Peds exam this week, but I am not. By the way, it is my last regular exam before finals for this semester!!!! Big cheers for that - we are getting closer to being done and the hell out of here.

Congrats to Ashley from my psych clinicals who has landed herself a sweet job at a MAJOR hospital for after we graduate. Yes, you heard me right - it is November and she already has a job lined up for June. Impressive.

My psych clinical assignment today was interesting. Oppositional defiant, conduct disorder, anti-social disorder tendancies - the standard animal torturer, fire setting type. I think he was mildly disappointed when some of the things he said got no reaction from me. That might be why my preceptor assigned me to him - some of the things he said would probably have sent some of my fellow students running. I'm almost intrigued with what he will come up with tomorrow. Or, most likely, he will actually talk to me since his attempts to get a reaction out of me failed. The creepiest thing is this tracking thing he does with his eyes. He puts his head down and then looks up with his eyes and tracks the other kids as they walk around the room. Unfortunately I think this kid is headed for trouble in the future. In the meantime, my clinical preceptor will really enjoy my Interpersonal Process Recording this week. The IPR is where we write down what we said and then what the patient said and then what we would have said if we had thought of it and how it made us feel and all that therapeutic crap. Somehow I will have to keep this week's just R-rated instead of X-rated.

Ok - back to studying - it would be nice if I did well on my last big semester exam!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger Aim said…

    Yolanda,
    When I took psych (11 years ago) I had this patient who hated anyone who wore the color brown, so all I had to do was wear my brown mini skirt and then I didn't have to talk to him the whole time. It sure made writing my IPR's easy. :) Good luck on your peds test!

    Amy
    Nursing Scrubs
    Travel Nursing Jobs

     

Post a Comment

<< Home