No, really - what is your EMERGENCY?

This used to be the journal of a nursing student at a prestigious 4 year university that will still remain unnamed. This is now the journal of a Registered Nurse working in an Emergency Department in a major US city. All names have been changed to protect the stupid and the mean. There is no educational value in this journal, sometimes it will be downright mean and catty - this is where I come to vent!

Monday, November 12, 2007

Good Day

I worked yesterday. It was a good day in the ED. Not super busy, but not totally slow either. We had a whole lot of kids - it is croup season - fun. I did start an IV on a 4 month old. My first time and I got it on the first try. Probably beginners luck, but I was pretty happy.

I also had, for the first time, one of our frequent fliers. This patient is actually very ill and so is one of the ones that you don't mind coming in repeatedly. So my preceptor is giving me the background info, yet leaves out one important piece of info: this patient is deaf. I didn't know that and I go in there talking to this patient and I get a look that equates to "you are really, really not very smart." But hey, I was also armed with Dilaudid and Phenergan - so I'm pretty sure I was forgiven!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home