No, really - what is your EMERGENCY?

This used to be the journal of a nursing student at a prestigious 4 year university that will still remain unnamed. This is now the journal of a Registered Nurse working in an Emergency Department in a major US city. All names have been changed to protect the stupid and the mean. There is no educational value in this journal, sometimes it will be downright mean and catty - this is where I come to vent!

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Totally inappropriate behavior

I'm not really quite for sure where the actions in the following story could be considered appropriate, certainly not in an institute of higher learning.

I just found out that a few weeks ago, one of the nursing students ("Port Wine Stain, PWS, I've blogged about her before) flipped off a professor during class. She did it behind her back, but the TA saw it. Apparently she was asked to stop talking during class (a reasonable request) and she decided that she didn't want to and used her middle finger to express her dissatisfaction with the request. I mean really, how could you ever think that that was a acceptable response?? But this is the same person who is a bit overweight, especially in her gut, and still chooses to wear junior size low riders and belly shirts. Therefore, we are all often subject to looking at her flab, and quite often to her butt crack. In fact, I've seen more of her butt crack than some of my patients. It is gross. If you have belly flab, please don't wear things that let it hang out. I mean, I have cellulite on my thighs and I try to not show it off too much. I consider it a community service!

That is all.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are correct in that is was not appropriate, and in fact displayed her lack of maturity. Kind of like your finishing the post off with dissing her appearance. When you're out of your thirties, you'll realize that one has nothing to do with the other...hopefully.

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Gee, Anonymous, thanks for the lesson. I really needed that. Since you seem to know me (based on one of your comments), please email me at one of my personal email addresses. Otherwise, keep with the theme of the blog or don't comment. It is not meant to be educational for anyone, you or me! Although, it may be educational for PWS to learn how to dress like a professional...

     
  • At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I work as a staff person at a SON (School of Nursing) at another anonymous university. I am not a nurse. I discovered this blog tonight and have understood many of your comments from observing the nursing students here and listening to them. What is really frightening is that the same scenario seems to be at every nursing school! There are flipped out, incompetent, sadistic faculty and there are totally immature and irresponsible students (similar to what you have described before)that put fear in me of opening my eyes in the ER and staring into their face! AAARRRGGGGGHHH! *grin* I wouldn't mind seeing you (even though I have no idea what you look like) because you sound so down to earth and already professional. I worked in hospitals for too many years and know what it is like and the sense of humor you get, and how you stay sane....sometimes in non-PC ways. Don't worry (even though I am sure you are not!), I know you are going to be a great nurse.

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Thank you very much Anonymous! I too, fear the day I am in the hospital and some of my fellow classmates are my nurse. I have great faith (although probably misplaced!) that "the system" will eventually weed them out. In their defense, many are young and inexperienced, and in the case of my school, have lived very sheltered lives. On the other hand, about half of my class are like me and are second degree students who have lived a whole other life. We have some people with some incredible life experience. Hopefully in the end some of us will rub off on some of them! Please enjoy the blog and don't take it too seriously!

     
  • At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Diversity is great--whether culture, age, life experiences, even disabilities. I am enriched by all of the nursing students I interact with...even though sometimes there are those I'd like to slap--just once! *grin*

    I am enjoying the blog. Don't worry about that! I hope you might consider continuing it once you graduate, write the NCLEX, and start your first nursing job. (I have never understood "writing" the NCLEX...especially since it is now on computer! Nursing traditions die hard I have noticed as a close outsider.)

    I hear nursing students here refer to how "nurses eat their young." Have you heard of that and is it widespread? I was hoping it was just a local thing and if our graduates went elsewhere they would actually find more experienced nurses willing to mentor them and show them the ropes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home