No, really - what is your EMERGENCY?

This used to be the journal of a nursing student at a prestigious 4 year university that will still remain unnamed. This is now the journal of a Registered Nurse working in an Emergency Department in a major US city. All names have been changed to protect the stupid and the mean. There is no educational value in this journal, sometimes it will be downright mean and catty - this is where I come to vent!

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Just in time for a break....

So, last week I had 3 papers due and one exam. Kind of sucks since I only really have class 2 days a week. I have clinicals 2 days a week also, and with the commute time to those, I ended up burning the midnight oil and drinking a lot of coffee to get it all done. One of the papers was a group thing for my community health clinical. Yeah, the clinical I hate with a passion and if I could get away with quitting I would. Needless to say, no one in my group had any motivation to get that paper done. It was due on Monday and two of the three of us were going to be gone for the weekend. It was also a big sports weekend for my prestigious university, so group member #3 was going to be busy with that. We decided that we would get most of the paper finished by Friday and then just look it over Sunday night for last minute changes. That plan went all to hell when I had to take one of our group members to the emergency room following a mishap involving bonfires and alcohol. She will forever now be known as "Fire Jumper." Unfortunately for the sole remaining member, she had to do all the finishing touches. The paper turned out pretty good, Fire Jumper is all fixed up and on her way to Spring Break in Europe, and I have been enjoying a week of not much work.

On Monday, I got into a pissing match with my community health clinical instructor. We have to do an "intervention" for this class that has something to do with the community we are serving through our clinical site. My clinical site is a cardiac rehab center in a local hospital. The participants come in and complete an hour long class 3 days a week for 12 weeks. The program is very scheduled and was developed to make sure it meets Medicare guidelines so most of the participants will have insurance pay. I am sharing this site with Fire Jumper so we have to come up with two different interventions. Our preceptor (the nurse we work for) gave us two really good ideas that will also help them update their program materials. I briefed these two ideas at our post clinical conference and my instructor (see previous post regarding the stupid hat) shot them both down stating that they don't have enough teaching time involved. When does she think we have teaching time??? Like I have explained to her numerous times, this is a scheduled program designed to meet the requirements for Medicare. I can't just come in one day and say, "I'd like to change your program today so that I can meet the stupid requirements for my school project." She can't seem to grasp this fact! Also, there are other students who fulfilled their "intervention" by putting together a science fair style tri-fold bulletin board and putting it in the lobby. So, I'm supposed to teach a class and they do arts and crafts??? I hate to be the geek who quotes the syllabus, but there is nothing in there about our interventions having to be periods of instruction. And to top it off, Fire Jumper wasn't there that day (she was recovering from the fire incident) and I was trying to look out for her with regards to the intervention. My stupid hat wearing clinical instructor told me to just worry about me and she will work with Fire Jumper on her intervention. So I am supposed to just kick her to the curb?? I don't think so, I don't work like that. She and I are going to have it out before the end of the semester!

This week we also had one last skills lab. The one we have been waiting for all semester. We learned how to start IV's and draw blood. We had previously done a virtual reality thing to practice, but on Tuesday, we got to do the real thing. We started slow, stabbing the fake arm and the practice veins. Then we moved on to the real thing...each other. Everyone got the chance to start an IV on their lab partner. I had a great partner, she got a vein on the first try. This is amazing, as my difficult veins have caused grown men to cry trying to start IV's or draw blood.

Spring Break starts next week. Our Friday class got cancelled since our professor assumed no one would show up anyway. She's probably right. I wish I were going to be lounging on a beach somewhere drinking margaritas, but I need some money (and I'm a responsible reservist), so I will be donning the tree suit and impersonating a Marine officer for the week. I will enjoy the week off from school, do something I like doing and understand, and maybe even try to get ahead on school work (HA HA)!!

1 Comments:

  • At 6:19 AM, Blogger Kevin said…

    yay! good to see you're writing again.

    More venting please! And take a picture of the hat.

    There's a WM out here who talks just like you do when you're telling a story. Do they teach that voice at TBS?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home