No, really - what is your EMERGENCY?

This used to be the journal of a nursing student at a prestigious 4 year university that will still remain unnamed. This is now the journal of a Registered Nurse working in an Emergency Department in a major US city. All names have been changed to protect the stupid and the mean. There is no educational value in this journal, sometimes it will be downright mean and catty - this is where I come to vent!

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Final Exams

So, right now we are in the middle of final exams. We have one a day for 5 days. I'm not complaining, we could have had more than one a day. And the student services people, who are normally harassing us, have provided coffee, tea, and hot chocolate every morning. We have had two exams so far. They were not easy at all! I didn't expect them to be, they should be hard. One was our basic skills class and the other was our adult health class. Tomorrow we have our growth and development class. Now, I have spent more hours reviewing my notes for this exam than any of my others. This is stupid. I am more concerned about a class that should have been offered as an on-line correspondence course than the ones who actually may have an effect on the life or death of my patients. I've talked about this class before, the one where we do skits on Friday afternoons.....yeah, that one. There is no correlation between the way the class is taught and the difficulty of the tests. The tests are those kind where you look at questions and ask yourself if you are in the right class. Questions about topics that you don't recall anyone discussing in class or it being in the reading. Then there is the book. OH MY GOD. I can't believe it was actually published. It is poorly organized, poorly written, even poorly edited. THERE ARE SPELLING MISTAKES AND TYPOS IN IT. This is a book that I had to pay $74 for USED!

Last rant for this entry: our final today was difficult. But the thing that annoyed me the most (besides the construction noise outside the classroom and the opening of candy wrappers inside) was the shear volume of typos, spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, and just plain mistakes in the test. We had to do some drug dosage questions. Many didn't have the correct units or even units that stayed consistent. Questions with everything in milligrams and all the answers are in milliliters for caplet form meds??? There were even two questions that were exactly the same. Exactly the same, like cut and paste. Obviously, no one proofed this test before they printed it. That is just unacceptable. If I am going to pay the amount of money I am for this school and spend the amount of time I spend studying, I don't think it is too much to ask for the professors to proof read their final exams.

Back to the studying....Freud....Erikson....Piaget.....I DON'T CARE!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home