No, really - what is your EMERGENCY?

This used to be the journal of a nursing student at a prestigious 4 year university that will still remain unnamed. This is now the journal of a Registered Nurse working in an Emergency Department in a major US city. All names have been changed to protect the stupid and the mean. There is no educational value in this journal, sometimes it will be downright mean and catty - this is where I come to vent!

Saturday, November 25, 2006

A non-nursing school related rant

I, along with many others, made the trek home for Thanksgiving. I decided to drive on Tuesday thinking that less people would be driving that day as opposed to Wednesday. I got a late start since I had my psych clinicals that morning and the weather was horrible. What is normally a 2-2.5 hour drive took me close to 4 hours to make.

I consider myself to be a pretty good driver. I have logged a lot of miles driving on freeways - my car is 7 years old but has really only been driven 5 of those years and has close to 120,000 miles on it. I was taught to drive by my father, who at one time in his life was a truck driver. I have driven in many countries where driving is considered a contact sport and done just fine. I will not rant about the continued decline in the overall abilities of drivers today - I will confine this rant to my trip on Tuesday:

1. If you are not going AT LEAST 5 miles an hour over the speed limit - GET OUT OF THE FAR LEFT LANE.
2. If you are afraid of driving or your car - GET OUT OF THE FAR LEFT LANE.
3. I know it is raining and dark, if you choose to drive 35 miles an hour on a major interstate freeway - DO NOT DO IT IN THE FAR LEFT LANE.
4. If the traffic going in the opposite direction, divided from you by a huge median including a cement wall, stops - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SLOW DOWN.
5. If you know you are going to exit in the next couple of miles and there is a lot of traffic - PLEASE GET OVER IN THE RIGHT HAND LANE early so you do not have to slow down to an almost stop and wait for someone to let you in.

Now, I know there is someone out there who is cursing my car right now - but I was polite the entire way and did not tailgate anyone or flash my brights, unlike my fellow college student with the Tri-delt sticker on her car (the Delta Delta Delta Sorority - remember the SNL skit, "Delta, delta, delta can I help ya, help ya, help ya...).

In two days I will turn around and go back the other way. I'm lucky, I can wait until Monday - hopefully the majority of the travelers will have gone home on Sunday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home