No, really - what is your EMERGENCY?

This used to be the journal of a nursing student at a prestigious 4 year university that will still remain unnamed. This is now the journal of a Registered Nurse working in an Emergency Department in a major US city. All names have been changed to protect the stupid and the mean. There is no educational value in this journal, sometimes it will be downright mean and catty - this is where I come to vent!

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Yep - this is a new post!

So, I'm contemplating changing the name of the blog now that I have been doing this for a year and a half. I've precepted two cycles of new grads at this point so I don't really consider myself a new grad anymore. I'm thinking just Pissed Off Nurses or Pissed Off ED Nurses but that sounds a bit redundant since I have yet to meet an ED Nurse who isn't pissed off.

Big news at Big City ED! Last summer my hospital decided they did not want travelers in the ED anymore so they hired 12 New Grads and 2 new ER nurses at one time. What the hell were they thinking? Basically the 2 new ED nurses are great, they did wonderful since they were already nurses they just needed some ED experience. Now 11 of the 12 new grads came off orientation on the same day (one couldn't cut it in the ED). It has been horrible. There have been some night shifts where the entire staff other than the Charge nurse and the Triage nurse came off orientation within in the past month or so. This has resulted in much discontent among the "old" staff. So much so that 4 of us have moved on to other hospitals. Yep, that is right - I have left Big City ED and moved on. So, I'm sure that I will have more new and exciting stories from Slightly Smaller ED.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Shannon,
    I would love to support you in the fact that all ED Nurses are pissed off.... I think that leaves a bad light on nurses in general... I am an RN working in an ED and love what I do no matter what type of patients I receive.... To be able to make nursing a better field I believe that leaving blogspots like this is not appropriate to better our field!!! Thanks for sharing the interesting parts about your career but please put a better light on the subject by changing the name of the blog please... not all new grads or ED nurses are pissed off!

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    State Executive Board - thank you for your comment, please read the disclaimer at the top of my title - these are my opinions not to be attributed to anyone but me. One of the things I love the most about this country and the internet is that I am free to say and write what I choose. I have had this blog for about 4 years now. Nursing is not my first career - I have spent 13 years in the military (8 on active duty, 5 as a Reservist - two war zones) doing my part to ensure that people like you and me can say whatever we want.

    There are many many things that can be done by the nursing community to better our image - make Bachelor's degrees the entry level training, stop wearing SpongeBob Squarepants scrubs, act professional, get rid of the Magnet program (those are things the hospitals should be doing for nurses and nurses as professionals should be doing for themselves - we are rewarding corporations for paying for a recognition) just to name a few.

    I won't be changing my blog title, if it bothers you that much, you don't have to read it. Better yet - why don't you start your own!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home