No, really - what is your EMERGENCY?

This used to be the journal of a nursing student at a prestigious 4 year university that will still remain unnamed. This is now the journal of a Registered Nurse working in an Emergency Department in a major US city. All names have been changed to protect the stupid and the mean. There is no educational value in this journal, sometimes it will be downright mean and catty - this is where I come to vent!

Saturday, November 25, 2006

It is eval time!!!!

My favorite time of the year!!!! It is time for us to get evaluated on our psychiatric clinical prowess and also happens to be time for the students to evaluate our instructors. Yippeee!!

Two issues:

1. I cannot stand the argument that an instructor cannot mark you at the highest level for a midterm evaluation because then you would not have anywhere to grow. That is crap. I am being evaluated on what is expected of me AT THAT TIME. If I am meeting the highest expectations for what I should be able to do AT THAT TIME then I should get the highest mark. And no, marking me at a 5 of 5 does not mean that I know everything there is to know about psych nursing. It means that I am meeting and exceeding the objectives for a 24 month BSN student mid-way through their psych clinical rotation. Now, also do not use the above excuse as a reason to not mark someone high because you do not think they have earned it and don't have the guts to tell them that - but you had also better be able to back that up!

2. Streamline the evaluation process. My school requires an evaluation on anyone who instructs us for 3 or more hours. My school also relies a lot on guest lecturers who lecture for an entire class session which happens to last for 3 hours. Therefore, it is not unusual for us to need to complete 20 or more evaluations. If it is really necessary that we evaluate all of our guest lecturers then make those evaluations available to us as soon as they lecture, not 3 months later. No one wants to fill out 20 evaluations while they are trying to study for exams and pretty much hate nursing school anyway. Also, the more you bug me about completing the evals, the less likely I am to do them and the more likely I am to give you a negative eval if I choose to take the time to fill them out.

Ok - back to work on my group project for my leadership class. Have I ever posted on how much I hate group projects??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home