No, really - what is your EMERGENCY?

This used to be the journal of a nursing student at a prestigious 4 year university that will still remain unnamed. This is now the journal of a Registered Nurse working in an Emergency Department in a major US city. All names have been changed to protect the stupid and the mean. There is no educational value in this journal, sometimes it will be downright mean and catty - this is where I come to vent!

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Catching up

Well, I have had two shifts at my clinical site. The nice thing about this hospital is that it is relatively small, but it is also the only one around. So, I get to see a little of everything and the staff is really good about letting me do things. In fact, I started my first IV on a patient yesterday!! First try - it went right in. I've started them on dummies and fellow nursing students, but never on a patient. So that is good. And I get to use my Spanish on a regular basis since many of our patients are non-English speaking. I will blog about the staff in a separate entry - just let me say that I neither want to work nor be a patient in this hospital.

Yesterday I did a 12 hour shift - which I like, but the hour drive to and from the hospital makes for a very long day. Tomorrow is another 12 hour shift and then I am back to 8 hour shifts by decree of my clinical coordinator. I was a little disappointed yesterday when I was getting ready to walk out and a guy walked in the ER with a framing nail sticking out of his finger - I didn't get to stay and see how that worked out.

This weekend I have a job interview - supposedly they offer jobs on the spot - wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home